What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Friday, July 10, 2009

Misa, Malls, and Mis Botas Nuevas


Learning, learning, learning. That is something that I have had to get used to doing...A LOT! Every single day I am doing stuff that is new to me. I am taking the METRO places...can you believe it? I have also figured all of the streets around my community and have even gone on 3 runs so far. I know how to walk to the bus and take that bus to La Catolica where we have our classes. I am speaking in Spanish with Maggie every day and really getting better. I am meeting new people which is also a learning experience. I am learning the foods, the slang, the clubs, the customs, and the list goes on. I decided to title this blog entry thusly because there are three exciting things that I want you all to know.

First, Maggie and I go to misa every Sunday together. Misa is the word for Catholic mass and the place is always packed. Since I was raised Catholic, I am used to how the service runs but I just don't know all the prayers and refrains in Spanish. Still, it is such a nice service and it is very humbling to be literally the only tall, blonde person in the crowd. But all are welcome in the church, right? :) Last Sunday Maggie took Annie and I to the mall in Los Condes. Los Condes is the community known for the amount of rich people or "quecas" that live there. As you can guess, this was a REALLY nice mall. I finally bought some boots and they are REAL leather and super comfy. When I wear them, I feel like a total santiaguina...and I look good too! hehe

It rained like crazy this past weekend! There was rivers in the streets! But it stopped once our classes for the week started, and now it is just super cold. At least its not wet though. The cold here is like deep-down-in-your-bones cold. Luckily I have great tolerance for the cold (if you are reading this and your last name is Linehan, you understand why I have developed a resistance to cold!). Thus as long as I layer up and wrap my scarf around my neck about 3 times, yo puedo casi evitar el frio. Speaking of cold, I have a great friend with whom I am able to share the painful walk to school with every morning. Her name is Jeanny and she is like 4 houses down from me. She is from UC Riverside and speaks Spanish fluenty. Besides that, she is just a really cool girl and the other night her and Anna stopped by the house and we all talked until 4 in the morning! I am surround by a ton of cool people here...both Chilean and Estadounidense. Can't wait to see what else is in store for me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers