What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Friday, July 10, 2009

Cultural Events






During this three-week Intensive Language Program we have had the opportunity to go on many cultural field trips with our tutores. There are about 12 tutores who are Chilean students that attend either Universidad de Chile o La Catolica. There are about 10 students in my group and it is our tutor's job to show us the youth culture of Chile. She takes us out to dinners sometimes and around the city and speaks with us to improve our Spanish. My tutor's name is Camila, and one night she took us to this authentic Chilean restaurant that we had to take the metro to. We got off and walked through these cobblestone streets to an alley. The entrance to the restaurant was in the alley and there were three stories to this restaurant. I got this amazing fish platter that looked so pretty when I got it that I felt guilty for eating it. We played a get-to-know-you game and spoke Spanish all night. We also went to Concha y Toro with our tutors which is a famous vineyard in Santiago. We got to taste some wines and I even bought a Shiraz Rose from the winery. It was quite delicious and the price was right (Dad, I know you'd appreciate that.) Finally, this week we also went to La Moneda which is the Chilean White House basically. We got a tour of the premises and I could smell the history. The tour was entirely in Spanish but I got most of the information. Numbers and dates are one of my biggest challenges because it is a lot to compute at the same time. But it is nice to challenge my brain sometimes...I stress the "sometimes". haha We have one more cultural experience with our tutores planned before the ILP ends on July 18th. It is a museum day on Tuesday, and I will tell you guys how much I learn. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ray!! These are magnificent to read. I can tell that you're already maturing and becoming a different woman! All this after just 3 weeks :D? Oh man, if I could write everything I'm feeling, after reading these sweet posts... I could just go on forever. But in a clichéd nutshell: I'm soo happy that you're having the time of your life -- exploring and expanding your limits!!

    Oh, and I have to say... that top picture of you at Concha y Toro in the leather jacket is totally reminiscent of "P.S. I Love You" - you know what I'm sayin’? "I won it in a bet".
    I'm thinking that leather jacket might bring some luck to a Santiaguina, eh, eh ;).

    You've got me hook, line & "stinker" with your journals. They ease the 5500 mile gap because I feel closer to you when I read them. I really can't wait for the next one! And now you're on to La Serena... with more stories to come. And keep taking pictures, I love those!

    And it perhaps goes without saying, but you're really mi heroína, Paz! YOU'RE ACTUALLY DOING IT!! Gosh, it’s so awesome... :D


    (P.S. Sorry about the last 2 attempts... I think I've figured out this comment-thing now.)

    ReplyDelete

Followers