What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Manteganse con estilo santiaguinos...




Today was presentation day and we had the pleasure of being the first group to present. I think it went great actually because we had the audience laughing and I totally nailed my little spiel on la gente, la historia, y religion en La Serena. I went into the zone when I was talking in front of the 90 people in the room but I have to say that I had memorized most of the stuff that I said. This surprised me because the Spanish was just flowing which me realizing that I actually had memorized what I was saying. After the presentation, one girl told me that I hadn't even read from my card at all. She also said she loved the presentation! All good things. :) For our creativity aspect, we decided to do a newscast where Tom and Annie were the main anchors and Tony, Niki, and I were the field investigators. Tom found this music that was exactly like what plays at the beginning of a news program and when we started, the music came on and Niki and I pretended to be doing their makeup. Then we ran over to our positions as the music was ending and Tony looks at the audience and says: EN VIVO. Hilarious. I am ecstatic that the presentation went great and I am extra ecstatic that we don't have school tomorrow and I am even MORE ecstatic that Saturday is our last day of ILP. Don't get me wrong...I loved that class and I have learned a lot. But it is really hard for me to speak in class because I'd rather just listen to what everyone else has to say. So when I am forced to say something profoundly insightful about a movie or a reading, it takes all that I've got. Our teacher firmly believes in learning as many new words as we can and so each student is assigned a day in which they have to email all the new words we talked about that day to Victoria who compiles all of our new words into a list. We are going to be tested on that list during the final. There are about 500 words on that list. I know, right?

We already had one test on the vocab and that was the night that I got to hang out with Meggy for the first time in Santiago. I had made about 300 notecards and was planning on staying in to study. But plans change and it was Kyle's last night so Megan, Annaleigh (she's also staying at Maggie's house), and I met up with my two host brothers Luke and Kyle and one of their friends. We went to a castle on top of a hill that looked like an LA club. haha I know it sounds crazy but literally you get in a van and it takes you up to a castle on top of Cerro Santa Lucia. It was like three stories and the top story was a private party that I guess we were invited to because we dropped a name and got in. They played so much American music I had to remind myself that I was in Chile. The Piscolas (Pisco and Coca Cola) helped to remind me! Anyways, the connection between this story and the notecards is that I brought my 300 notecards in my pocket to the club. And I even got a chance to look through the majority amidst talking to all the guys in suits who may or may not have just come from work. The club is called After Office but we learned that some guys just put on suits and pretend like they just came from the office. :) Either way, it was a great night and in this moment, I am just SO happy that the presentation went great and that I don't have to worry about it anymore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers