What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Friday, July 10, 2009

Mi madre Maggie


I have to say that without a doubt I am the luckiest girl in the entire program. My mama's name is Maggie Diaz, and she is such an amazing woman. As said previously, I am the 40th student that has stayed in her house. She is a widow with no children, but all of the students who have stayed with her over the years have become her children. She is always talking about all the amazing adventures that her "kids" are now doing. We often sit at night for hours drinking coffee and looking at the pictures of a certain student that has stayed with her. She also talks about history, politics, her life experiences, her intuitions about certain people, religion, YOU NAME IT!! I often forget that we are both speaking Spanish during our talks because when I am sitting there with my cafe con leche at the table with lovely Maggie, I just get this sense of belonging. I feel like it is just another sign that God has given me to show that this is exactly where I am supposed to be. A sign to show me that at this point in my life, I am supposed to be challenged in this new city with a new language, new friends, and a new family.

I recently asked Maggie about staying in her home after my Intensive Language Program and she said that she would love to have me stay here! I was super excited because I feel very comfortable here and I look forward to having a permanent home during my time in Santiago. PLUS Maggie says that she loves having kids stay here because we make her life exciting. The guy would I mentioned before who took me to get ice cream and my BIP card has been here since January. He actually just left yesterday for a one month trip around South America and then he will be returning to San Diego where he goes to school. Maggie said that it was very hard to say good bye to him because he has been here for so long. In a way, I feel that by staying here I will be her new Kyle! :) Hope I can measure up because he is a pretty great guy. I look forward to spending my time at Maggie's house and getting her view on life because it is a very interesting one. What a lucky girl I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers