What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mis Tres Angeles

Hoy fue un dia de serendipia. Yes...I found the Spanish equivalent on serendipity in my translator and I was quite excited. Today I got up early and walked the three blocks to the Starbucks in my neighborhood to finish up some reading before my class at 2:30. At Starbucks, I ran into my first angel who was the Chilean guy that works there who randomly grew up in Palmdale. I walked in and he came over to me with a smile saying that it had been so long since we'd seen each other. Then he asked what coffee I wanted and even insisted on bringing it over to me once he had made it. Our interactions are a mixture of his English and my Spanish, but at the kernel of it all, he is just such a kindred spirit. After getting through my article for Medical Anthropology, I headed out to my university for my Bioarchaeology class. This class is one of the most challenging classes I've taken because all of the kids have taken the first class in the series during first semester. Thus they already know each other and also know facts about bioarchaeology that I am just learning. As I said in the previous post, I feel that I hold my own when it comes to naming the bones and catching on to the lab topics. BUT if it weren't for Addy (a sweet, patient girl in the class who has befriended me and agreed to be my lab partner for the term) I would be completely lost. She doesn't mind that I have limited vocabulary and that I am still learning about all the different forensic analyses that we are putting into practice. During that class, I felt like I was struggling to stay above water as I grappled for words in Spanish to describe these concepts that were already difficult in English. But Addy never minded that I was not being a great deal of help and she didn't even care that we were the last lab group to finish. She even walked with me out of school and down to the bus while we talked about the Chilean university system and her home in Maipo. I just thank my LUCKY STARS that I found such a great friend in my class. Gosh, I am blessed. So as you have all determined, Addy was my second angel of the day. After class was done, I hopped on the bus to head home. My foot is finally healed and it is painless to walk after so many weeks of pain with every step. So now that I have started running again, I find that I will bust into running at random occurences during the day. For example, when I am heading towards the bus--backpack and all--and fortunately with my Asic shoes! :) I missed running so much that I just can't help it. When I boarded the bus, I came face to face with my third angel of the day. It was a bus driver named Pato who told me the second day that I had ever taken his bus that I was his new friend and that every time I took his bus, I didn't have to swipe my BIP card. It was so sweet of him so now every time I am on his bus, we just chit chat about how his day is going or my classes. He reminds me of a little kid even though he is like 50 years old. So that was my day of the three angels. It's great when you try to be as good of a person as you can be and the universe surrounds you with good people in return.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing it is to have been so loved in another country. Praise God for these angels that have been brought in your life. I pray and think of you and Megan often. Keep embracing life my dear friends, I'm enjoying reading your experiences and I can't wait to see you beautiful face and I hope and pray that God will continue to bless you while your there! :) Hugs from Cali!

    *Shauna*

    ReplyDelete

Followers