What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Sunday, April 4, 2010

I am a thinker. I want to learn about everything and be an educated member of society so that I have something to contribute to the common good. I am on the brink of becoming an actual 'adult' because I will be graduating for UCSB soon with a major & two minors. Life without school will be different because it is what I have known for the past 16 years of my life without pause! However, I can't wait to live for ME for a while and learn all that I have not had the opportunity to learn thus far.

I am currently trying to readjust to life in the states after my 6 month study abroad experience in Chile. While I was living in Santiago, I saw, felt, lived a plethora of experiences--many of which were the most challenging experiences of my life. I am convinced that over the last 6 months, I did things that not many people would be able to do. I thank God for the abilities he has bestowed in me. I also have my family and friends to thank for their unwavering support.

I am worried for and ever-vigilant of the generation that we are growing up in. There have been so many changes in our society due to the overwhelming and rapid advances of technology. I have seen enough futuristic movies to know that we are following in the footsteps that directors have laid out for us time & time again. I know that I can be dramatic with my thinking...but what I see is that we don't listen to each other as much anymore. We don't touch as much or look at each other as much. And often we don't appreciate the present moment enough. I feel like we are becoming a disconnected world. As Linda Stone says: "One's full attention will be the aphrodisiac of the future."

Awareness is the first step to being the positive change. I recommend the movie 'Idiocracy' if you want an eye-opener to what our society COULD become one day. So...get off the cell phone, take off the huge headphones, give people the respect they deserve, hold the door open for ladies, offer your seat to someone on the bus that is less able than yourself, don't tell lies, LISTEN instead of talking, and just be content to walk down the street with nothing but the sound of life to keep you entertained.

1 comment:

  1. Rosey-belle, you are SO much older than 22!!!!!!

    Do you think that people in Chile connect more/better/deeper than people here?

    ReplyDelete

Followers