What a Wonderful World

What a Wonderful World
“Whenever you throw a stone into the water, you never know where it will land, how many ripples it will create, where those ripples will go or what they will touch. So keep tossing stones. It's the only way to live.” --Sally Rose

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Starbucks, Sisters, & School Work

I just finished my 6 page paper for my EAP Class!! It is the last thing that we have to turn in for this class. And the way my mind works is that I get one thing done...one chapter of my time here finished...and then I can have a clearer mind to start the next things that I have to do. Now that this EAP class is totally done, I can set my mind on my two other research papers and that one that I have to do for the gastronomy class. So nice. Well not really...but at least I have a plan. Oooh I got a membership to Blockbuster finally and I watched 17 Again and last night with Hannah I watched The Ghosts of My Past Girlfriends. Not 100% sure of the title of the last one because it was in Spanish but it was really cute. And 17 Again was GREAT! I can't wait to get home and watch it with mom and Lee Lee so we can just laugh and laugh!

Hannah & I at Hermanos Matte School

I have a new host sister named Hannah who is with the same program that Annaleigh and Sally were with. It is called United Planet and they send people all over the world to volunteer. Hannah was in INDIA for a month before this and came straight to Chile! She will be here for 5 weeks and she is working at the same school I do the taller at. Actually, I went with her the first day that she had to work there and we hung out with the kids all day and got to know each other. It was a lovely day. I felt like I was really helping her because it would have been so much harder to go do it all by herself. And plus that school is like my stomping ground so it was the least I could do. She came to the taller too but it was kind of depressing because there was only 3 kids there. I am gonna have to start talking with Mary Cruz to make sure that there will also be more students than that because it is just not a good use of time when there are only 3 kids and two of the boys were in 6th grade and had just wanted to be there to observe more. But ehh...I know that the school has a lot of afterschool activities so maybe that is the problem. I'll figure it out.
Another fun day at Starbucks...

On Tuesday I worked all day on my EAP Essay which as I said, I just sent into my teacher!! YAY! And then on Tuesday night after Hannah got home we walked over to Starbucks and got coffee and talked outside on the patio near the fountain for like an hour. We are like two peas in a pod which if you think about it...is SO awesome. I mean considering that I could have had to live with ANYONE for the next 5 weeks in the same house and eat all the same meals together and talk to them...and wouldn't that stink if that person was "fome"...boring. But we were like immediate "girlies" as mom and LeeLee would say ;) And I know that I was fine before but all I'm saying is that it is just NICE to get home and have someone to shoot the breeze with and talk about cute boys that I meet at Starbucks and what not. So on Tuesdays after Starbucks we walked to the pharmacy and ran into this old dude that spoke English. I think he was from Hawaii but I also got this feeling that everything he was saying was a lie. haha Sorry to be so cynical but we listened to this guy's far-fetched stories for like 30 mins. and it was just obvious that he wanted to act super smart in the face of two teenagers. He would throw out these abstract world facts and then belittle us when we didn't know them. OK I know that there is a stereotype for teenagers not knowing about the world but dude F-U...we are LIVING in another country. I am attending a Chilean university and living with a Chilean mom and I have Chilean friends. Hannah was in INDIA for a month. She is volunteering in a dangerous community at a school teaching kids English. We are both breaking the stereotype so don't talk to me about some guerilla group in the hills of Malaysia (to use a random example) and then be condescending when I have never heard about them. But whatever...I just thought it was cool that when Hannah and I left the pharmacy, she was like: I hope you don't think I am too quick to judge or cynical but I didn't believe a word of that guy's stories...AND I was like: OMG I was thinking the same thing!! haha

Yesterday (Wed.) I had class at 2:30 so I woke up early and walked to Starbucks to read that crazy 25 page spanish article about isotope analysis for our quiz today in bioarchaeology. I met this really cool guy who speaks English and wants to be a chiropractor and is a vegetarian. That's all I am going to say. Addy called me to make sure that I had gotten the email of the reading for class!! Ahhh she is so nice!! And then I came home to eat lunch and went to my class. After class, I went to the library to do more work on the article and I ended up staying there for like 2-3 hours. Who knows? But I ran into this guy from my bioarch. class named Francisco who had missed the last three classes because of work in Vina del Mar. And he came over to sit next to me and we talked for a little. He was my partner in lab one day during the first couple weeks and he is all hippy and totally chill. haha So I told him that I was making an outline of the readings and that I could photocopy them for him. And he was like Muchisimas Gracias!! So I totally made a friend. Yay! And then I talked with the photocopy dude for like 10 mins and basically it was just a good Spanish day.

OK now I am going to get breakfast and run and get ready for the day and then study more for the quiz. I get to go to Victoria's birthday party after and then come home to SLEEEEEEP before tomorrow when I have to go to Puente Alto to collect the questionaires from Erick and the parents so that I can start formulating my final paper and setting up interviews. Eeek I'm scared to have interviews with the parents but at least with some of the answers that they will have already given me, I will be able to keep up. Plus my voice recorder from EBAY came in the mail yesterday! :) Oh and thank you mom and dad for all the letters that you have been sending! I loved the halloween and thanksgiving ones! Can't wait to all be reunited in LA on the 28th!

Un abrazo para todos, Rosey

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so freaking busy it's crazy!!! I can't wait to hear you speak spanish-I bet you're a pro! You should teach Evan-he leaves for Guatemala on Dec 30th! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you heading home the 28th of november??

    ReplyDelete

Followers